Rapp Granary-Owen Foundation
In 1992, the Rapp Granary-Owen Foundation was established as a 501(c)(3) to
become the owner, restorer and operator of the Rappite Granary, the massive
sandstone, brick and wood structure built on the west side of New Harmony in
1818. After seven arduous years, the completion of the Granary's restoration
was celebrated on October 8 - 10, 1999, with the structure opening for the
enjoyment and instruction of townspeople and awareness of visitors. Today,
travelers from all over the world study its majestic spaces, admire its solid
beams, and are amazed by its restored grandeur. Yet, less than twenty years
ago, this majestic structure stood in disrepair, its past shrouded in mystery
and hidden beneath massive brick and broken decay. Recognition for its adaptive
restoration must be attributed to a small group of tenacious men and one
The Rapp-Owen Granary is now the site of weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, anniversary celebrations, business meetings, musical presentations, seminars, professional workshops and academic sessions.
For information about tours, please call Chris Laughbaum at 1-812-682-3050 or use our Contact Form.