Shrine of Our Lady, Queen of Peace
Located northeast of the Roofless Church at the end of Main Street, this stone carving of Our Lady and The Christ Child is from Isle St. Louis, France, and is the work of an unknown 15th century sculptor. This is New Harmony’s oldest work of art. It was dedicated to the memory of the Trappist Monk, Thomas Merton (1915-1968), by a Trustee of The Merton’s Trust.
Angel of the Annunciation
Stephen de Staebler created this commanding statue of the Archangel Gabriel or Gabriela for the south entrance of The Roofless Church. It was dedicated June 10, 1999, by the most Reverend Marcel Rooney, Primate of The Benedictine Confederation, Rome.
This font was created by William Schickel of Ohio for the east court of The Roofless Church in 1995. The inscription reads: “In celebration of all grandparents for the great goodness that flows through & from them.”
This gleaming bronze figure kneeling under a 12-foot-tall granite arch is located near the entrance to the Macleod Barn Abbey. The sculpture was created by New York artist Tobi Kahn in 1993. Several smaller stones are placed nearby for meditation and reflection.